Ransomed (비공식작전) is a 2023 South Korean action thriller movie directed by Kim Seong-hoon and starring Ha Jung-woo and Ju Ji-hoon. The movie is based on the true story of the 1986 hostage crisis in Lebanon, in which a South Korean diplomat was taken hostage by a terrorist group.
The movie opens in 1986 with a group of South Korean diplomats being taken hostage by a terrorist group in Lebanon. The government dispatches a secret relief mission to Lebanon, led by a young foreign ministry official, Lee Min Joon (Ha Jung Woo).
Lee Min Joon is on a mission to offer a $5 million ransom to the kidnappers in exchange for the diplomat’s release. However, the task is not easy, as Lee is chased by armed security guards and must rely on the help of taxi driver Kim Bang-soo (Ju Ji-hoon) to escape.
Lee and Kim run through the streets of Beirut, dodging bullets and bombs. They eventually reached the kidnappers’ hideout, but were captured. The kidnappers tortured Li, but he refused to hand over the ransom.
Just when all hope was lost, Li and Jin managed to escape. They returned to the South Korean embassy, where the hostages were being held. Lee and Kim lead a daring rescue operation, and the hostages are finally rescued.
The movie ends with Lee and Kim being hailed as heroes. They saved the lives of the hostages and ended the hostage crisis.
Ransomed Korean Movie Cast
- Ha Jung Woo plays Lee Min Joon. A young foreign ministry official sent on a secret aid mission to Lebanon. Min Joon is determined and witty. And he is willing to do whatever it takes to save the hostages. He is also quite reclusive. And he’s not afraid to break the rules if he believes it’s the right thing to do.
- Joo Ji Hoon plays the role of Kim Pan Soo. A taxi driver accidentally gets involved in a hostage rescue mission. He speaks Arabic and is quick on the road, but he also has a lot of temperament as a con man. He is initially reluctant to help Lee Min-joon.
Differences between the Movie and the True story
The movie is based on the book “Ransom: The Untold Story of the South Korea Hostage Crisis” by Kim Myung Chan, who was one of the hostages. The book tells the story of a hostage crisis from a hostage’s point of view. their family and government officials involved in rescue operations.
This movie is not a 100% accurate depiction of a true story. Some events in the move have been altered for theatrical purposes. However, the move does provide a general overview of the hostage crisis and rescue operation.
- In the movie, The hostages were held in one place. In fact The hostages were held in many places.
- in the movie, The rescue operation was led by a single government official. In fact The rescue operation is a joint effort between the South Korean government and the Lebanese authorities.
- In the movie, the hostage-takers are portrayed as ruthless and violent. in fact The hostage takers weren’t as violent as they were in the movies.